Info for U.S. travelers

Cuban Adventures welcomes Americans on our tours in Cuba.

We offer two options for US Citizens and Residents to Travel Legally to Cuba in 2020 and 2021.

  • American citizens can travel on any of our regular Cuba tour packages if they stick to certain activities and do the paperwork to be able to travel under one of the authorized Cuba general license travel categories. You can learn how to do make that sort of trip to Cuba legal here.
  • Cuban Adventures USA offers "SCP" tours, which are tours that are specifically designed to meet the license requirements for the Support for Cuban People Cuba (SCP) category. These are the best way for a fun and easy trip to Cuba for US citizens, which ensures your trip to Cuba is legal and hassle-free! Visit our Cuban Adventures USA website for more information.

Below are the Cuba tour packages we are offering for 2020 & 2021 that do all the work for you to adhere to the US laws and US restrictions for travel to Cuba. They still provide you with the same small-group, authentic, and fun Cuba travel experience as our regular Cuba tours. 

  • 15 Day Support of the Cuban People Tour - "Canchánchara to Cucuruchu"
  • 9 Day Support of the Cuban People Tour - "This Cuban Life"
  • 11 Day Support of the Cuban People Tour - "Holiday Rumba" Christmas and New Years Eve tour

Other information for American travelers

Cuba flight and ports of entry

There are several ports of entry to Cuba. If coming from the USA, Cancun is usually the best place to fly to Cuba from. We can organise this flight for you (including the Visa for Cuba). Click here for more details.

Other ports of entry include: Jamaica, all major airports in Canada, Dominican Republic , Costa Rica and Panama. See our Flights to Cuba page for more.

For ports other than Cancun you can try booking directly through the airlines websites, or you can use an online agency such as Cubajet to book your flights into Cuba. Cubajet will not bill you with the name 'Cuba' in the receipt on your credit card, your bill will state:

Obtaining a Visa (Cuba tourist card)

Tourists from all nationalities need visas to travel to Cuba. This visa is called a Tarjeta del Turista ('Tourist Card'). This card is not attached to your passport in any way, your passport should not be stamped if you travel to Cuba through a third country, and therefore there should be no evidence in your passport that you have traveled to Cuba.

Obtaining this Visa may depend on the airline and your port of entry. With airlines such as Mexicana, Copa, Cubana, Lasca, Air Canada and some others, the tourist card can usually be obtained upon check-in at the airport for approximately $20 USD. Otherwise the tourist card may be included in the price of your ticket - contact your airline about this. Usually the tourist card is provided to you blank and you simply need to fill in the details. This includes the hotel name in which you will stay on your first night in Cuba. We suggest for passengers travelling on our tours to simply write the address of their joining guesthouse accommodation.

There is a Cuban Consulate for Visas in Barbados for passengers entering Cuba via this port.

Tourist Card

Travel insurance for Cuba

To join one of our tours, you are required to be covered by Travel Medical Insurance while in Cuba. We can arrange this for you. Click here to see details.

Accessing your money in Cuba

You'll need to plan carefully how you will fund your purchases during your time in Cuba, as a Credit Card from a US bank may not yet work! Check with your bank before you leave to see if they have authorized use in Cuba.

These are the most common and popular ways of accessing money while in Cuba:

  • A VISA card from a non US bank, from which you can make cash advances while in Cuba.
  • Cash in the suggested currencies: Euro, British Pound, Canadian dollar.
  • Travelers Cheques in the suggested currencies: Euro, British Pound, Canadian dollar.

US cash or travellers cheques are hit with an extra 10% fee.

Paying through Cuban Adventures - a safe option!

We accept payments to our bank account in Australia which carries the name of our parent company - Big Planet Adventures. (This will not mention 'Cuban Adventures')

PLEASE NOTE: You can pay us with complete assurance that NO reference to Cuba will be included in anyway on your credit card or bank statements.

Speak to our specialist: Sarah (Cuban Adventures USA - Manager) ... +1-213-375-4782 or via Email 

Back to Top