Last updated 16 Jan, 2015

To go back to the main page information on travel to Cuba for US citizens please click on the following link Travel information for US citizens.

More information

Flights and Ports of entry into Cuba

There are several ports of entry to Cuba. If coming from the USA, Cancun is usually the best place to fly to Cuba from. We can organise this flight for you (including the Visa for Cuba). Click here for more details.

Other ports of entry include: Jamaica, all major airports in Canada, Dominican Republic , Costa Rica and Panama. See our Flights to Cuba page for more.

For ports other than Cancun you can try booking directly through the airlines' websites, or you can use an online agency such as Cubajet to book your flights into Cuba. Cubajet will not bill you with the name 'Cuba' in the receipt on your credit card, your bill will state:


Back to top

Obtaining a visa or 'Tourist Card' for travel to Cuba

An image of a Cuban Tourist Card Tourists from all nationalities need visas to travel to Cuba. This visa is called a Tarjeta del Turista ( 'Tourist Card'). This card is not attached to your passport in any way, your passport should not be stamped if you travel to Cuba through a third country, and therefore there should be no evidence in your passport that you have travelled to Cuba.

Obtaining this Visa may depend on the airline and your port of entry.  With airlines such as Mexicana, Copa, Cubana, Lasca, Air Canada, and some others, the tourist card can usually be obtained upon check-in at the airport for approximately $20 USD. Otherwise the tourist card may be included in the price of your ticket - contact your airline about this.  Usually the tourist card is provided to you blank and you simply need to fill in the details. This includes the hotel name in which you will stay on your first night in Cuba. We suggest for passengers travelling on our tours to simply write the address of their joining guesthouse accommmodation.

There is a Cuban Consulate for Visas in Barbados for passengers entering Cuba via this port.

Back to top

Travel Insurance for US citizens in Cuba

To join one of our tours, you are required to be covered by Travel Medical Insurance while in Cuba. We can arrange this for you. Click here to see details.

Accessing your money in Cuba

You'll need to plan carefully how you will fund your purchases during your time in Cuba, as a Credit Card from a US bank may not yet work! Check with your bank before you leave to see if they have authorized use in Cuba.

These are the most common and popular ways of accessing money while in Cuba:

  1. A VISA card from a non US bank, from which you can make cash advances while in Cuba.
  2. Cash in the suggested currencies: Euro, British Pound, Canadian dollar.
  3. Travellers Cheques in the suggested currencies: Euro, British Pound, Canadian dollar.

US cash or travellers cheques are hit with an extra 10% fee.

Paying for your Cuban Tour

We accept payments to our bank account in Australia which carries the name of our parent company - Big Planet Adventures. (This will not mention 'Cuban Adventures')

PLEASE NOTE: You can pay us with complete assurance that NO reference to Cuba will be included in anyway on your credit card or bank statements.

Back to top

Further Reading

The following books are written by Americans who have travelled to Cuba, and contain well written sections about legal issues and practicalities.

  • Cuba Information Manual: The Definitive Guide to Legal and Illegal Travel to Cuba - Michael Bellows 2009.
  • Bicycling Cuba: Fifty Days of Detailed Rides from Havana to Pinar Del Rio and the Oriente - Wally and Barbara Smith - 2007.